Monday, August 10, 2015

FIXate: French Toast Review from a French Toast Expert

If you know me at all you know that there is only one thing I EVER order when I go out for breakfast:

FRENCH TOAST.

Only one time in my entire life did I order something different.  October 4, 2014.  And that was because I had already tried the french toast at the restaurant we were eating at... and it was disgusting (#amiright? #lauraandjendoyoureadthis?).

I can't say I'm as good at making french toast as I am at ordering and eating it.  Although there was this one time I made a Paula Deen Overnight French Toast recipe.  I don't want to tell you how much butter was in that thing.  But my god it was amazing.

Enter FIXate, Autumn Calabrese's new cookbook.  It's perfectly aligned not only with her 21 Day Fix and 21 Day Fix Extreme nutrition programs, but it also lists other information for each recipe, such as calories, fat, protein and carbs.  When I saw there was a healthy french toast recipe in it, I about nearly died.

So this morning, I made it.

It DID NOT disappoint!

Healthy French Toast from FIXate

Prep time:  10 minutes
Cook time:  6 minutes
Total time:  16 minutes
Yield:  2 servings (I ate them both!)


Ingredients:
2 large eggs
2 Tbsp. unsweetened almond milk
2 tsp. pure maple syrup, divided
1/2 tsp. group cinnamon
2 slices low-sodium sprouted whole-grain bread (I used Ezekiel Cinnamon-Raisin bread)
1 tsp. extra-virgin organic coconut oil (I used Pam coconut oil cooking spray)
1 cup fresh sliced strawberries


Instructions:
Combine eggs, almond milk, 1 tsp. maple syrup, and cinnamon in a shallow pan; whisk to blend.  Soak each slice of bread in egg mixture for 5 minutes, turning halfway.  Heat oil in medium nonstick skillet over medium heat (know your stove, mine had to be a little hotter than medium, but it's good to start lower).  Add bread; cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.  Top with remaining 1 tsp. maple syrup.  Serve strawberries on top or on the side!


Crazy Delicious!!


21 Day Fix/Extreme (per serving!!):  1 yellow, 1/2 Purple, 1/2 Red, 1/2 tsp.

Calories (per serving!!):  219
Total Fat:  8 g
Saturated Fat:  4 g
Cholesterol:  186 mg
Sodium:  84 mg
Carbs:  27 g
Fiber:  5g
Sugars:  8 g
Protein:  11 g

3 comments:

  1. I'm making my family French toast this morning and was so happy to see this recipe....I'm making this now and I'll let you know what I think about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg this was amazing!!!!! So glad I was able to eat French toast with my family.

      Delete