Tuesday, March 1, 2016

The Beets

Regardless of how awesome the band was on Doug (Killer Tofu, anyone? #90sKid), there was nothing you could've done to make me want to try beets.  While the color is beautiful, it's not a typical color of natural food, and the consistency REALLY weirded me out.  I knew one day I would try them, but every time I considered it, I wasn't ready.



Along came February, and with that, the need to try a new food.  Nothing was really inspiring me.  I seriously considered okra, but after some research, it seemed like a better food to try in North Carolina when I visit my parents during Easter.  We were back to square one, with literally five days left in the month.

Then Rachel, Mistress of Weird Foods, mentioned that she had made herself some deeeelicious beet hummus.  Hummus?  I thought.  I like hummus!  And this got me thinking... I MIGHT be ready to try beets, if I could transform them into one of my favorite Greek condiments (are there any others)?

So on February 29, as if I could've waited any longer, my friend Ashley (Mistress of Vegetarian Food) came over and we made Rachel's Beet Hummus recipe.

Ladies and gentlemen... it was indeed DEEEELICIOUS.

Enjoy!

Beet Hummus
Prep time:  5 minutes
Cook time:  1 hour 20 minutes
Total time:  1 hour 25 minutes
Yield:  14 1/4 cup servings


Ingredients:
2-3 large beets, roasted, peeled, and chopped
1 (15 oz) can of garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
1/4 cup tahini (ground sesame seed)
5 T of lemon juice
2 cloves of garlic
2 t ground cumin
1 t salt
2 T extra virgin olive oil


Instructions:
To roast the beets, cut off the leaves and roots and wrap them loosely in tin foil.  Cook at 350 degrees for about 1 hour and 20 minutes.  When they are finished, let them cool a bit before taking off the foil.  To peel them, simply rub the beets with a wash cloth under cool water.  Works like a champ!  Chop the beets (if preferred.)  Place all ingredients EXCEPT olive oil into a food processor and puree.  Finally, gradually puree the olive oil into the mixture!

You can see Ashley isn't used to taking selfies while eating.
Very pleased with the final product!
Calories (per serving):  94
Total Fat:  5.1 g
Saturated Fat:  .7 g
Cholesterol:  0 mg
Sodium:  248 mg
Carbs:  10 g
Fiber:  2.8 g
Sugars:  2.4 g
Protein: 3.2 g






No comments:

Post a Comment