Sunday, January 31, 2016

10 Things That Happened During Dry January

So... I did it.  With just ONE drink after my marathon, I made it a total of 28 days in the month of January without drinking (I know the math's not quite right... I did drink on January 1 and 2).

It was an interesting experience, to say the least.  I'm pretty confident the last time I went anywhere close to 28 days with out alcohol, I was 20 years old.  I would assume this is pretty normal, for a 29-year-old who has never been pregnant.  Hell, I probably haven't gone a week without alcohol since I was 20 years old.  So what happen during those 28 days?



10 Things That Happened During Dry January



1.  I didn't lose any weight

You would think that cutting out all those empty calories for such a significant amount of time as four weeks would see the numbers on the scale plummeting, but it's just another example of how the scale is just ONE measure of health.  Sure, my weight fluctuated the four pounds it usually does, but basically, I hovered around my typical 130 lbs.  However, my pants DID fit better, an indication that some other health benefits were at work.  I did not attempt Dry January for the sole purpose to lose weight, so I didn't take pictures or measurements at the start, but my pants are really the only measurement I need right now.


2.  I didn't drink any more water than usual.

I don't like water.  So instead of drinking it to replace my alcoholic beverages, I just ended up pouring myself a glass of water and it sat in front of me while I ate.  Oh well.


3.  I had less decisions to make.

I try to be as intentional as possible when choosing my wine pairings for dinner.  Sometimes it takes a good five minutes for me to pick a wine.  If I ask my husband, make that 10 minutes (he's not the quickest decision maker).  None of that is necessary when you're not drinking wine.


4.  I realized how I connect some events with alcohol

We had a giant blizzard last weekend.  Whenever there's a blizzard, I always put Bailey's in my coffee in the morning.  The moment I realized I couldn't do that, I was incredibly sad.  Why?  It's not like I was going to drink enough to Bailey's to get wasted or even buzzed.  Clearly I don't rely on the taste of the Bailey's, because I probably only ever add Bailey's to my coffee five times a year.  Never the less, I was surprised how disappointed I was.


5.  We went out to eat less.

Our favorite restaurants are centered around wine and beer (Zinburger, anyone?).  Since I couldn't drink... we didn't go out at all.


6.  I had to find other things to do with my friends.

Ok, mostly just Rachel.  A couple times I thought to myself, "If Rachel and I can't hang out and drink, what would we do?"  That's sad.


7.  I became irritated with people who couldn't abstain.

I never want to think that I NEED alcohol.  Obviously, because that's kiiiinda like an alcoholic.  So, when people I was doing this with were really struggling or gave into temptation, it really annoyed me.  But of course, that's not fair.  Everybody's got their own shit and need to do what they need to do.  "You do you" as they say.


8.  I felt like I needed to stress to people that I wasn't doing this because I was pregnant.

I'm not pregnant.

9.  I read more right before bed.

Maybe because I wasn't always in that sleepy stupor that wine puts you in?  Anyway I've loved it.  I missed Harry Potter.

10.  I criticized my body less when I looked in the mirror.

This was the most surprising thing that happened to me over the last month.  I think it's totally normal (albeit not ideal or even healthy), for women to criticize their bodies from time to time.  Even though I didn't lose ANY weight (and frankly, didn't even work out that much, aside from running the marathon), I can't remember I single time this month when I stood in front of the bathroom mirror and tried to pinch the fat on my hips and stomach.  Yes, I do that.  Not every day, but apparently, often enough to where I noticed I WASN'T doing it this month.  Why do you think that was?  Because I really had less fat as a result of less drinking?  Because alcohol is a depressant?  Who knows.  What I DO know, is that even if I had lost 100 pounds, having a positive reaction when looking at yourself in the mirror is probably the BEST thing that could've come out of these last 28 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment