Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese

With January comes New Years Resolutions for a lot of people.  As you probably know though, my "resolutions" started on the day I turned 29 with my list of 30 Before 30.  This meant that January required that I try a new food!

Usually, I aim to try the new food in it's most unadulterated form.  That way, I really know how I feel about it before I start mixing it into things.  This time, though, I was inspired to try butternut squash during my search to find a healthier version of mac and cheese.

My friends on Facebook suggested the following recipe that is originally from the Team Beachbody Blog.

I got all ready to start, and realized I had no idea how to even CUT a butternut squash.  No worries, that's what google is for.



Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese

Prep Time:  15 minutes
Cook Time:  61 minutes
Total Time:  1 hour and 16 minutes
Yield:  10 servings, about 1.5 cups each

Ingredients:
1 lb. dry whole wheat macaroni (or any kind of pasta shape)
1 tsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 medium red bell peppers, chopped
3 cups cubed butternut squash
1¾ cups low-sodium organic chicken broth
1 cup low-fat (1%) milk
2 Tbsp. low-fat (1%) plain Greek yogurt
1 cup shredded Gruyere (or Swiss) cheese
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Sea salt and ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
Nonstick cooking spray

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 375° F.  Cook pasta according to package directions, then drain and set aside.  While the pasta is cooking, I cut up the squash and chopped up the onions and peppers.  Next, heat the olive oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, then add the onion and bell peppers.  It should take about 4 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently, for the onion to cook to translucence. Set aside.  Combine the squash, broth, and milk in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; gently boil for 22 to 25 minutes, or until squash is tender.  The milk might curdle a little, but that's not a big deal.  Be careful not to let it overflow!
Once the squash is done cooking, place squash mixture in a blender or food processor; cover with lid and kitchen towel. Blend until smooth.  I actually blended it in three separate batches, just to make sure it didn't overflow from my food processor.
Combine all the ingredients (squash mixture, macaroni, onion mixture, yogurt, and cheeses) in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper if desired; mix well.  Pour pasta mixture in a 13 x 9-inch ceramic or glass baking dish that has been coated with spray. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until sauce is bubbling.



We decided to eat this macaroni concoction with our favorite Buffalo Chicken Burgers (baked, since we were decidedly snowed in from two feet of snow).  I didn't realize how... orange our meal was going to look.




I was definitely apprehensive, as I usually am when trying a new food...


Final thoughts:  I didn't love it, and I didn't hate it.  I felt the same as when I tried spaghetti squash... it didn't taste like the original.  Even though it was orange and had some cheese in it, it really didn't taste a whole lot like mac and cheese.  And frankly, it took forever to make.  Cutting that squash was no picnic either.  Dan loved it, so that's good, but I don't see myself making it again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment