Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Classic All-American Chili

Chili.  An American masterpiece.  Is it American?  A question to ponder.

My mom always made great chili.  But a few years ago, in an effort to "forge my own way," I went searching for my own chili recipe.  Then I got lazy and found, probably, the easiest chili recipe on the planet.  I gave it my own little tweek to make it spicy (it's chili, people!) and then taught Rachel to do the same!

Classic All-American Chili

Prep time:  5 minutes
Cook time:  25 minutes
Total time:  30 minutes
Yield:  5 servings

Ingredients:
1 lb lean ground meat (we used beef, feel free to use turkey or chicken!)
1 cup chopped onion
2 TB chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
1 can (15 oz) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 cans (10 oz each) Ro-Tel (OR a 15 oz can of your choice of diced tomatoes + a jalapano!)
8 oz tomato sauce (no sugar added)



Instructions:
Stirring occasionally, cook the ground meat and onion in a large saucepan on medium-high heat until meat is no longer pink.  (I like to drain the fat into our notorious "fat can" in the fridge.  My husband would rather not talk about it.)  Stir in remaining ingredients.  Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low.  Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes.  Serve with shredded cheese and maybe a little plain greek yogurt?  An avocado maybe?  The possibilities are endless.

Rachel and I also tried our hand at some baked zucchini.  While tasty, I wouldn't call these a #win, based on the fact that they never got crispy!  Looking for some advice here:  how do you make your zucchini crisp up?  Ours were sad and limp :(




No comments:

Post a Comment